Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2020, 09:34:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 279
  • Total Topics: 141
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 518
  • (January 21, 2020, 05:24:49 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 7
Total: 7

Welcome!

Welcome to the Cancer Health Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have any type of cancer, their friends and family and others with questions about living with cancer. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Cancer Health Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hair loss help!  (Read 3572 times)

Offline pinkgirl

• View Profile
Hair loss help!
« on: October 25, 2018, 11:53:12 am »
I have always found my long curly hair to be a part of my identity, and chemo will take that away from me. I know it is one of the best ways to kill the cancer cells, but I am worried I won’t feel the same due to hair loss. While it seems as though chemo is the only treatment option for me, is there any way to prevent hair loss? Any support would really help me feel better about this.

Offline survivorkelly

• View Profile
Re: Hair loss help!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 03:51:45 pm »
Losing your hair during chemo is certainly difficult for many women. i’ve been through it all and can definitely attest to what your feeling in terms of hair loss. not sure if you’ve heard of scalp cooling methods, but these can surely help with minimizing hair loss. Essentially, cold caps are helmet-like hats with gel-coolant that you wear during chemo treatments. The cap will be chilled between -15 and -40 degrees fahrenheit. this is a little scalp cooling as the cold caps are kept in the freezer and replicate an ice pack. scalp cooling, on the other hand, is attached to a small refrigeration machine and circulates cold air every 30 min. Cold caps would need to be replaced every 30 minutes during treatment. i personally used cold scalping as it required a lot less effort on my end. do keep in mind that these scalping methods don’t guarantee that you won’t lose any hair - they work to minimize the amount of hair you lose. in my case, i only experienced some hair loss. it was defiitely a lot better than losing all my hair. it’s a shame that more women don’t know about these methods as they can really help boost your self-esteem during difficult times. hope this helps and that these methods convince you to undergo chemo.

Offline Maddie459

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 12:26:54 pm »
https://www.cancerhealth.com/article/spare-hair-chemo

I think this story may be helpful. It is a woman named Stephanie explaining her story with chemo and cold caps and how she went about her journey with it. She also discusses the different types of caps there are. Hope it helps, and keep us posted!

Offline pinkgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 11:51:26 am »
Hey Maddie
Thanks for the article! super helpful how indepth she gets about the different treatments she looked into, she really did her research! It's nice to know other people are just as worried about their hair. Smetimes people make it look easy to be strong about the hair loss.

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.