Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2020, 04:06:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 288
  • Total Topics: 149
  • Online Today: 11
  • Online Ever: 518
  • (January 21, 2020, 05:24:49 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 9
Total: 9

Welcome!

Welcome to the Cancer Health Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have any type of cancer, their friends and family and others with questions about living with cancer. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Cancer Health Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Should I Continue My Cancer Treatment During the Coronavirus Pandemic?  (Read 941 times)

Offline Cancer Health Editors

• View Profile
Experts say treatment decisions should depend on the individual and factors such as cancer stage.

Amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, many cancer patients are facing a series of dilemmas, including whether or not to keep receiving treatment, Vox reports.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 650,000 cancer patients are treated with chemotherapy in an outpatient oncology clinic in the United States each year.

But many people living with cancer have compromised immune systems and are among the groups of people at greater risk of contracting the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19, a respiratory disease whose symptoms can range from mild to severe.

A recent report from the National Comprehensive Cancer Network found that cancer patients in China with COVID-19 had a 3.5 times higher risk of mechanical ventilation, ICU admission and death compared with those without the disease.

This puts both patients and oncologists in a difficult predicament. Oncologists ask themselves, “Should we continue to give immune-system-suppressing cancer treatments to patients during the COVID-19 pandemic?” On the other hand, patients ask, “What happens to me and my cancer if I stop treatment altogether?”

The problem is, chemotherapy drugs damage healthy white blood cells, which are the body’s defense against viruses like the novel coronavirus. But stopping treatment could also put people living with cancer at risk for even more problems, including tumor progression and shorter survival times.

What’s more, it’s unclear how long this pandemic will last. Although some patients have expressed a willingness to skip one or two chemo treatments, as Vox puts it, “If a patient were to delay their chemo treatment right now, it might not be any safer to resume the treatment should they reschedule it for the coming weeks or months.”

Read more...
https://www.cancerhealth.com/article/continue-cancer-treatment-coronavirus-pandemic

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.