Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2019, 12:04:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 223
  • Total Topics: 108
  • Online Today: 10
  • Online Ever: 139
  • (October 31, 2018, 04:13:53 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2

Welcome!

Welcome to the Cancer Health Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people who have any type of cancer, their friends and family and others with questions about living with cancer. Check in frequently to read what others have to say, post your comments, and hopefully learn more about how you can reach your own health goals.

Privacy Warning: Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.
  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.
  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.
  • Product advertisement (including links); banners; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from the Cancer Health Forum Moderators.
Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: need to quit smoking (recently diagnosed)  (Read 472 times)

Offline dsp87

• View Profile
need to quit smoking (recently diagnosed)
« on: July 23, 2019, 02:42:29 pm »
Recently started chemo and things are going about as well as expected on that side of things. My bigger problem at the moment is what to do about my withdrawal symptoms. I’ve smoked for as long as I can remember and even though I know it’s bad for me (especially now with my diagnosis) I can’t seem to shake the need. In the past I’ve tried patches, gums...the whole nine yards. Nothing worked. Even vaping isn’t the same. I know I can’t smoke now since the cancer but need to figure something else out because this isn’t going to work for much longer.

Offline healingfuture48

• View Profile
Re: need to quit smoking (recently diagnosed)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 10:41:24 am »
 Hi! Fellow ex-smoker and lung cancer patient here. Best thing to tell yourself is that as bad as it is, it really only lasts for a month and the physical symptoms last less time than the mental symptoms. I had some terrible nausea, insomnia, and headaches for the first week, which in the scheme of things wasnt too long. I didn’t vape or try any gum or patches. What worked best for me was staying busy (as physically as i could with the chemo, but mental stimulation is just as good) and drinking a TON of water (also good for you during chemo bc you will be dehydrated!). Also staying away from social situations where there were a lot of smokers helped. It was hard because most of my friends smoke, but if you have friends that are supportive they will understand. I just asked my friends to not smoke in front of me and we tried some new places to hang out as well. I know it is so hard, I had been smoking since 8th grade, sometimes i still get the occasional craving too, but with the cancer it’s just something that has to be done. Rip off the bandaid and suck it up now, you will thank yourself later :).

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.